Tuesday, May 02, 2006


BROOKLYN HP/GREEN-WOOD CEMETERY
Continued...

Disappointed that one of our goals while attending the NYC highpointer mini-gathering was to bag the hp of Brooklyn, Diane and I determined to get there anyway. The next day, Sunday, after a ferry circuit to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, having learned the subway was still broken, we took a $20 cab ride through the Battery Tunnel into Brooklyn. We alit at the main cemetery gate on 25th St., an impressive ornate portal. This lovely park-like burial ground inspired the design for NYC's Central Park. Interred here are Leonard Bernstein, Horace Greeley, Samuel Morse, and other well-knowns.

Ah, the joys of going off the beaten path and discovering gems you never imagined beyond the interstate, the shopping malls, and the tourist traps. Let's try to keep these parts of the map our secret, hey?

If you go: Take lots of money. NYC is not cheap unless you plan to sleep in the bus terminal and eat soft pretzels. We are rural PA based. Negotiating the MTA in NYC was a mind-numbing challenge as we soon came to understand why fellow riders appeared to be stoned. It's probably a great place to zone out while your body absorbs theraputic vibes from the track which often rides like the interstate rumble strip.

Click here for some great Roger Rowlett info: http://americasroof.com/nyc-brooklyn.shtml

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

On my trip to PA from the UK in 204 I had to get to The 'Big Apple' and so took the bus, not a bad journey but no chance of sleeping in the bus terminal as it CLOSED at 23.00 and my plane left Kennedy at 10 the next day. I thought I would go to a movie or at least a bar but the city that never sleeps was CLOSED! I asked a yellow cab driver "how much" He didn't know! Liar! So after wandering around Times Square for a couple of hours with a suitcase and backpack (but no GUN!), talking to tramps (bums?) one of them told me how to get to Kennedy for $1 so I did, I don't know how he did it but it was worth giving him $5, the train was warm, clean(ish) I had a rest and then a sleep at the airport. Thank goodness for the subway and the bums!!!! By the way did I take a risk?

Anonymous said...

Hey, Dude...you just exist if you don't take a risk.